Posted by Nicole on August 11
If your electrolyte levels are low, you’ll often feel it. You may find yourself fatigued, thirsty, disoriented, and confused. Your muscles may cramp up or feel weak, your heart may beat fast, and you could have a headache.
While there are a number of reasons electrolytes may be depleted, it is commonly the result of dehydration. Maybe you forgot to load up on electrolytes before you started a workout. Or perhaps it is just a really hot, dry day, and you have been sweating more than usual.
Either way, you are going to want to restore your electrolyte levels as quickly as possible so you can start feeling better.
In this post, we will offer you a list of foods and beverages that may help. But first, let’s talk about what electrolytes are.
What are Electrolytes?
Electrolytes are minerals. Specifically, they are minerals that release electrically charged ions if you dissolve them in water.
What is most important to know about electrolytes is that they are necessary in your body. So, if you are low on them, you will not function as well.
Here are some key electrolytes:
So, if you eat foods and drink beverages that are high in any of the electrolytes listed above, that can help you to replenish your levels.
What are Some Foods High in Electrolytes?
Here are some foods to consider eating if you are looking to restore your electrolytes:
- Vegetables: Some vegetables are very good sources of electrolytes. In particular, leafy green vegetables like spinach and kale make good options. You can also consider broccoli, potatoes, olives, and others.
- Fruits: Fruits, like vegetables, can be high in electrolytes. Think about eating strawberries, watermelons, bananas, oranges, avocados and tomatoes to get more electrolytes in your diet.
- Beans and legumes: A variety of beans and legumes are rich in electrolytes, and may help you restore your levels.
- Nuts: Nuts such as almonds may help to raise electrolytes.
- Meats: Chicken, veal, turkey, fish, and other meats can help to replenish electrolyte levels.
What are Some Beverages High in Electrolytes?
Along with foods, certain beverages can also help you to increase your electrolytes. Examples include fruit juices, vegetable juices, milk, smoothies, and sports drinks. You can also find mineral waters for this purpose. Coconut water is another popular beverage for replenishing electrolytes.
Supplements Can Also Help You Restore Electrolytes
If you eat a diet rich in electrolytes and you take steps to load up on fluids and electrolytes before you work out, that can go a long way toward preventing depletion. But you might also find a supplement containing electrolytes to be helpful in maintaining or restoring your levels. Taking such a supplement is fast, easy and convenient.
When you keep your electrolyte levels high, you help your body to function at its best. It also is less likely you will suffer headaches, fatigue, and other symptoms of electrolyte loss. Turn shoring up your electrolyte levels into a habit, and you can take care of your body during hot days or workout sessions.